Knife Club Release a Record of 'Club Classics'
Knife Club like to make things interesting. The band that built hype under the mystery of their identity before the release of their punk debut ‘We Are Knife Club’ have taken an electronic turn! They’ve followed up their first two releases with ‘Club Classics’, a collectively produced journey down the electronic route. The record features remixed and completely reimagined tunes from the first two releases and an all new electronically written tune.
In December 2020, Jason (Syd.31) offered to remix a Knife Club track and give it “The Prodigy treatment”. This coincided with Knife Club vocalist, Andy experimenting with making some dance music. After speaking to a couple of other DIY musicians who were experienced with remixing, and who offered some more great ideas, the ‘Club Classics’ project was born. In true Knife Club fashion, the collective spirit was vital. They decided to open the project up for submissions, with producer, Ben Hannah (Organworks) kindly making all the stems available. After an overwhelming response, something typically ridiculous was born and they realised a full album was possible.
A host of contributors from the DIY punk scene, from bands and musicians such as The Domestics, The Down and Outs and Tim Holehouse have produced the albums tracks. Musically, it throws out an eclectic mix of electro punk, 90s dance, experimental electro, dub and synth pop, whilst nodding at acts as diverse as Faithless, The Prodigy, Knife Party and Aphex Twin. The artwork is inspired by the Gatecrasher nightclub sleeves, produced by The Designer Republic. The vinyl version is pressed on a neon pink record limited to 300. It is also available on CD and tape. The tape version is released by Forever Dead.
Release date: 24/06/22
1. SYD.31 – TNSCLUB7 (SYD.31 MIX)
2. WES COHEN – 27% OF STATISTICS (73% PROOF MIX)
3. ANDY DAVIES – SCHNITT MIT DEM DUBSTEP
4. TIM HOLEHOUSE – DO YOU WANT A KNIFE WITH THAT SALAD (DON’T RUN WITH SCISSORS MIX)
5. WES COHEN – I MEAN, I’D PROBABLY TAKE AN ADIDAS ENDORSEMENT (SUPERSTAR MIX)
6. JAMES DOMESTIC – ITCHY BRAIN DUB 2.0
7. CURSE – 1% SOCIETAL COLLAPSE REMIX
8. WES COHEN – MAKING A BIG MEAL OF IT (I DON’T LIKE IT MIX)
9. ANDY DAVIES – FREE SPIRITS/BAD ATTITUDE (PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
10. MARK MAGILL – KILLING TWO BIRDS WITH TWO STONES (DEVOID MIX)
11. HUMM BUGG – THE TIBBY TAN TIGER (HUMM BUGG MIX)
12. ANDY DAVIES – BOZO IS AN UNDERUSED INSULT (HALF AN HOUR ON ME BONTEMPI MIX)
13. HASJCORE – STAY SAFE. DON’T DIE. (HASJCORE LOCKED DOWN MIX)
14. LUKE WDSMN – I BET YOU’D FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE GOLD DOLLAR SIGN HOODIE!
15. PAUL ‘HOBOPOPE’ RHODES – WORKING CLASS TORIES (HOBOPOPE MIX)
DIGITAL/CD BONUS TRACKS:
16. ANDY DAVIES – YOU CAN ONLY TRY YOUR BEST DANCE MOVES
17. TIM HOLEHOUSE – DO YOU WANT A KNIFE WITH THAT SALAD (ET MIX)
ALL ORIGINAL RECORDINGS WERE PRODUCED, MIXED AND MASTERED BY BEN HANNAH AT ORGANWORKS.
THIS ALBUM WAS MASTERED BY ED HALL AT ALL SILK MASTERING HOUSE.
ART/LAYOUT BY ANDY DAVIES. KNIFE ILLUSTRATION BY ELIOTT VERITY.